lunes, noviembre 06, 2006

Haggard Apology Read At Church Service

By Robin Mazyck
CBNNews.com

CBNNews.com -- An apology letter from Reverend Ted Haggard was read during a church service Sunday at New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Haggard was dismissed as pastor of the church after recent allegations were lodged against him.
Last week, a man said he and Haggard had drug-fueled homosexual relations.
The group of church overseers dismissed him from his position for what they called "sexually immoral conduct."

"Here's what we do as overseers: we're responsible for the health of this church," said Rev. Mike Ware a church overseer. "If there is an allegation that's been proven, or we have enough information... then we have a choice, two choices.

We can either discipline, or we dismiss. And in this circumstance, we had discovered sexual immorality... we considered discipline and dismissal, and we had determined that dismissal was the only option we had."

Before the letter of apology was read by Larry Stockstill, a member of the New Life Church Overseer Board, all the youngsters were led from the room.

Watch part of the apology now.

In Haggard's apology letter, he admitted he was guilty of sexual immorality and that he was taking responsibility for his actions. He said he was sorry for causing shame and embarrassment for the congregation.

"I am a deceiver and a liar. There's a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I have been warring against it for all of my adult life," he said.

Meanwhile, his wife also issued a statement Sunday saying she loves her husband and is committed to him for life. "I know your hearts are broken, mine is as well. Yet my hope rests steadfastly in the Lord, who is forever faithful. What I want you ladies to know is that I love my husband Ted Haggard with all my heart. I am committed to him until death do us part," she said.

Haggard founded the 14,000 member New Life Church in the mid-80s. Haggard was also the president of the National Association of Evangelicals and resigned last week.

AP contributed to this report.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario